Sunday, February 7, 2010

full of life

For being quasi-unemployed and having all online classes, I have found myself super busy. Maybe I am just that bad at time management. I like it though. I feel like I'm not wasting any time, so that's keeping me pretty happy.

Last week someone stopped me by the MU with a flyer. Generally I give people the time to deliver their spiel (JUST learned how to spell that) and so I stopped to listen to him. Turns out, he was recruiting for a movie focus group. The biggest thing that caught my ear was $75. It sounded interesting, so I signed up and went up to scottsdale Wednesday afternoon. I showed up at the building about 15 minutes early, but couldn't immediately find the office. Everyone in the building was in suits and french cuff shirts. Nice place, but here I was in a tshirt and jeans asking everyone where suite 380 was. People told me it was on the 3rd floor, seriously thinking they were helping. I might be an young college freshman, but I'm not stupid guys. It was pretty cool once we started the meeting though. There were 2 walls with the 1 way glass. Microphones in the ceiling and a panel behind the mirrors, our opinions mattered.

We watched about a dozen different trailers for "Shes out of your league." After each, we talked about the good, bad, and ugly. We watched a few on Shutter Island and I think one on Avatar: The last Airbender. I saw a trailer for Shutter Island and Avatar on during the Superbowl commercials and both were reflective of our thoughts. I thought that was pretty darn sweet.

Friday, I took a girl out on a date. I really like coming up with cool dates, and I think this one worked out well too. She said it was the best date she had ever been on, so I feel pretty good about it. I drove up to campus and walked to her dorm. We walked up to the lightrail and took it downtown. The rail was not too packed on the way there, and the police came on during the trip to check tickets. One guy across from us was being ridiculous. Just screwing with the cops because he wanted them to have a bad day. They took it very well. I couldnt do it. He probably would have gotten under my skin. Once we got downtown, we realized it was actually First Friday. We walked around that for about 5 minutes, but then went over to the Fair Trade Cafe. They were hosting this weeks Black Pearl Poetry. This week was the Treetop Slam Competition. It was a regional competition to see who would go to nationals. Denver won the first bout, and the Tuscon group won the second. One of the girls on the Denver team is actually the World Champ in slam poetry. She'll be coming back in march and I'll be sure to be there. Tuscon was my favorite. Their poetry was funny and unique. Hopefully I'll be able to get to another one of their things.

Saturday I flew. I was so exhausted that evening that when I got home,I fell asleep before even turning my truck off. I woke up after about an hour and stumbled into the house and onto the couch and passed out for another couple hours.

Time to rest now.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a fun weekend...I'm jealous.

    I'm also jealous of the focus group stuff. I can't wait to see The Last Airbender.

    ReplyDelete