Friday, November 20, 2009

Basically all of October

So, I know I’ve been slacking big time concerning my life documentation. I feel like I’ve had no time this past month, but at the same time, I don’t know of any real time consuming things that have been going on.

I got initiated into Pi Kappa Phi. That was probably the biggest thing that happened this month. I’ve got my letters on now. I find it interesting that I’m advertising for my fraternity. I don’t even advertise for the Army. I’ve got veteran plates on my truck, but that’s about it. I guess I used to wear army shirts and whatnot, especially back when I was a private. Maybe it’ll be the same way with the fraternity. You might ask why I don’t like to advertise that I’m in the army. Well, here it is. I don’t want to be prejudged. I am a very atypical army guy. Its magnified by what people think a typical army guy is. Having grown up in the mountains of North Carolina, I have a bit of a hippie nature to me. I like to keep an open mind and accept radical ideas if they make sense to me. In the army, that is ridiculous. It’s all about perspective though. They always say, “you F***ing hippie..” It’s not meant in a mean way at all. Rather, it’s an acknowledgement that I have that mentality. I remember telling a girl that I went to high school that they think I’m a hippie and she just started laughing.

That actually brings me to a good tangent story. I met this girl, Alex Ivers, in my junior English class and immediately started liking her. I know it’s hard to believe with how much of a charmer I am now, but I was definitely a geek in high school. So anyway, I was talking to her on the phone, and decided to just be up front about it. So I flat out said, “I like you.” She thought that was funny, so she said she couldn’t hear me and made me repeat it. Then in true Alex Ivers style, she started laughing. Turns out she liked me too and we dated for a while. For a successful moment, that was probably one of the more embarrassing times of high school. Luckily it wasn’t in front of a lot of people.

So, what else has happened this month? I finally brought my bass in to the shop to get repaired. Its going to be around $250. Gag me. Worth it though, I guess. I can’t play until its fixed. Cagney is coming in January so I have to get back into the groove before we jam. Speaking of which, I got my plane ticket to go back to NC at the beginning of January. I feel bad cause I’m only going to have 10 days to spend there. I don’t think that’s going to be enough, but its better than nothing. I’ve not been since 2004, when I worked at Gwynn Valley.

Other than that, I started flying this month, but I still haven’t been given clearance to film the birds, so once I do, I’ll start putting some of that stuff on.

I hope to do better at writing this month

1 comment:

  1. Hahaha so true about the mountains of NC. It's hard to live there with a closed mind.

    Also the standards for 'hippie' are a little different. It entertains me that people think there are freaks out here when they haven't seen Asheville.

    ReplyDelete