Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Degree Change

Because this weekend was so awesome, I was going to write about that. Sitting down to do it though, something else comes to mind. So, until I get the video of our choreographed dance, I’ll just leave it at this. It was one of the best weekends of the year.

I changed my major this morning. Not entirely sure how I feel about it though. It puts me on a much different course, but I think it may be better. So, my major yesterday was Mechanical Engineering. Today, it is Philosophy. I like the idea of both, but I don’t know whether or not I actually like both. Sitting around a hookah with 3 or 4 people discussing philosophy and life is one of my favorite pastimes. Will being a philosophy major detract from the ability to do that? If my companions are not, it may be too much of a difference in thought processes. If that makes sense. Still the idea of learning more about the philosophical points of life is intriguing.

Engineering fits as far as the mechanical aspect. I don’t know that it fits my goals career-wise. I want to be able to travel, I want to have a family, and I want to be happy. Money isn’t really an issue as long as I can support the family. I don’t know that I would have time or the ability to take my family elsewhere on that route.

As far as the military is concerned, it doesn’t matter what degree I have as long as I have a Bachelors. To become a pilot, I don’t even need one.

I should also note that with the philosophy degree, I’d be doing a concurrent major of Poly Sci and a minor in Chinese. That would give me the opportunity to work for any 3-letter-agency. So with the polysci/philosophy/Chinese route, I could do pilot, 3-letter-agency, or get a teachers certificate and go live on an island to teach. There’s always the option of a combination of the 3.

So anyway, I guess I’ll have to wait til after next semester to really say whether or not it will be a good choice. I will be loading up on political science classes and philosophy classes. That will be a better determining factor. I have a friend though that took the logic course that I am in now then took intro to philosophy. Talking with her today made me nervous. She liked the logic class, but very much disliked the philosophy class. Hopefully we think differently.

That’s about it for my ill-phrased argument. I know it’s more lopsided to the Philo/PoliSci degree, but that’s because that’s what’s been on my mind today.

No comments:

Post a Comment