Thursday, September 10, 2009

The life v. 1

I haven't posted as much as I would have liked. We will soon remedy that. I had 3 posts ready to go a couple days ago. Mostly they were just about how last week went, and since last week was fairly uneventful, I'm not going to try and recreate them. The biggest thing that happened last week was that I got sworn into the AZ National Guard. I joined a MEDEVAC unit that I'll be meeting this weekend. I'll post the video in on my site.

The reason I no longer have those posts is that my laptop got stolen. Honestly, I don't mind that it did. I had set my backpack down in the bushes and walked about 15 feet away. I was with the Pi Kapps at the sorority bid day thing. When I came back, the backpack was unzipped and the laptop taken out. The think that frustrates me is that it was password protected and they didn't take the charger. I have insurance on it and I still have the computer I got for the Time Capsule, which incidentally is growing on me. What gets me is that they aren't even going to use it. I mean I could be wrong, but I envision getting to the password and not being able to get in, then tossing it. I wish I could have kept my files.

I submitted a first draft project for English 101 on Sunday. Not sure if I am just being ridiculous with Blackboard, but I am constantly having trouble with it. So I emailed my teacher to see if she could send me the file I submitted so that I could print off some hard copies. What she sent back to me, I couldn't open. I spent that morning from 430 to 630 trying to get my computer connected to the internet, and then recovering the file. I gave up around 630 and brought Brock to the park. While we were there, I started writing a new draft so that I would have at least something to turn in that day. Around 800 words in, Ms. Hooper emailed me letting me know she had recovered my file and turned it into RTF format. I stopped writing immediately, but I'll probably go back and merge the two to get the best from both.

The rest of the day went pretty smoothly. ASU 101 was very nice. We went on a field trip to the library. A few of us left the group and were playing around with the moving bookshelves. Humming the Indiana Jones theme song, we were imagining the shelves closing while trying to run out. Eventually, we figured out that the safety mechanism was in the floor. Guess there will be no last minute hat saves from a closing trap door.

After school, I took Brock to the park again. Then went to the mall to get a haircut. My last haircut, I was told, was the worst I've ever had, so I was glad to be rid of it. I had a formal dinner to go to, so I wanted to look sharp, even though it was with a bunch of guys. It was the preference dinner for Pi Kappa Phi. I find out later today what fraternities I got a bid with. Anyway, after driving around on low gas for a while, I got there and hung out with them all. I am starting to get to know them a lot better. Even the new guys that are freshmen like me and just rushing are pretty darn cool. We'll see what happens.

1 comment:

  1. Haha I like the Indiana Jones moves.

    That sucks about your laptop. At least it was insured...just tell yourself they need money more than you needed the computer?

    ReplyDelete